Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thursday's Science Thoughts

I loved the plate tectonics demo today. I want to share this with our Junior High teacher so she can do this with her 8th graders. I also learned some new vocabulary today. Great idea, Angie.
The exothermic and endothermic reactions today were very good, and I will use them as demos in my classroom. The Burning of the money was awesome. I will do that one and it is important to understand why the paper didn't burn. Thanks Dr. Koppang for the explanation at my level so I can retell it. I want to try the demo imitating a spark plug and internal combustion for a engine piston. I hope I can find a Tesla coil. Thanks also for the heads up on the static electricity initiated by moving in and out of nylon covered car seats which could cause a explosion with gas vapors when filling up the car at a gas station. Everyday science safety is important. This afternoon I enjoyed the making of a wind turbine and really think that Junior high or even lower level students would enjoy this activity. I appreciate the time given to make up my solutions for tomorrow activity and appreciate the computer lab accessibility to write up my demo and activity. It was a good day.

1 comment:

  1. You are absolutely right, that plate tectonics demo was great. It is so hard to teach earth science without making kids fall asleep. I think it would work great to go through a step and show a video of that type of fault or movement to the class, then take another step followed by another video. Great demo.

    ReplyDelete